Friday, February 24, 2012

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go to Gourmands

To make up for having to work the past two Sundays, I took a half day today and left work at Noon... can I get a HALLELUJAH? Anyone? It doesn't happen often, so Firas and I planned a lunch date on this joyous (for me, at least) occasion. I had a Scoutmob coupon for a sandwich place on the east side called Gourmands. Firas had already been told that he MUST try it, and I am a sucker for any sort of discount.... so Gourmands it was! I didn't know what to expect... but as usual, when it comes to Austin food endeavors, my socks were indeed knocked off.

Firas went for half of the "Last Supper" sandwich paired with the Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup, which is infused with Shiner Bock and served in a bread bowl. Broccoli + Cheese + Beer + Bread = Food Heaven/Coma. I definitely stole a few spoonfuls. The "Last Supper" consisted of roast beef, queso, bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion. Firas didn't speak for about 10 minutes. I understood.


I went with the server's recommendation and enjoyed a half salad and half of the "Second Deadly Sin" sandwich. I must say that admitting I ordered a sandwich nicknamed for "Gluttony" makes me feel very exposed... no judging on here, alright? It was worth it. The sandwich was smoked turkey, bacon, fried avocado (I said no judging!), swiss, sprouts, and pesto. I took off the swiss cheese, okay? And opted for whole wheat bread. Totally justified.


Needless to say, even though the pictures don't do justice, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The restaurant is dark and resembles a basement, but it added to its "neighborhood pub" charm.

If you live in Austin, venture to the east side and fall in love with Gourmands. If you don't, remind me to take you there on your next visit!

1 comment: