Saturday, March 26, 2011

(Love) of the Irish

I love St. Patrick's Day. So do my sisters and best friend Tara. And that is why we planned their visit to Texas around this glorious day. We weren't yet aware that SXSW fell on the same weekend or that the rodeo was in town... we just knew that the four of us had to be together to celebrate in green. While Irish blood does run through my veins, my love of the holiday didn't begin with Mom making corned beef and cabbage every year in honor of my grandparents heritage... it began with a Disney original movie called "Luck of the Irish". If you've seen it, consider yourself fortunate. If you haven't, there's still time. And hopefully re-runs. I was a senior in high school when we thought we would be awesome (and by awesome, I mean totally dorky) by planning "DOM" parties. The Luck of the Irish was one of our favorites... shamrock cookies and all. We soon fell in love with Kyle the Leprechaun and to this day quote lines from this classic TV movie. Ah, saints preserve us! My appreciation for the holiday grew while on my spring break trip to San Diego during senior year of college. Tara and I stayed with my sister Nicole, and I will always remember this specific St. Patty's Day as one of the best nights of my life. Decked out in green, loud trucker hats that said, "Kiss Me I'm Irish", and the best accessory of all.... shot glass necklaces.

We spent the evening at a block party in downtown San Diego where they had the most amazing DJ playing for an incredibly energetic crowd... and we danced the night away. In the street. Like the nuns in Sister Act. We found it extremely entertaining to approach random people at the block party insisting that "another shot would hit the spot!" in our best leprechaun voice, while holding out our shot glass necklaces. Typically, they filled it up with beer, but I do remember tasting my first whiskey sour that night. Sold! The whole night was a blast. And so my love for the Irish, and everything St. Patrick's Day related, continues on......

Mama Lauer sent the most amazing collection of green accessories that helped us to be the most spirited St. Patty's party people in downtown Austin. It's safe to say that our presence was known wherever we went. And we can probably chalk that up to the fact that we had whistles.

We convinced Tara to buy a shirt that screamed, "I'll Be Your Lucky Charm" in metallic silver block letters. Let's be honest, it didn't take much. The combination of the shirt, green garter, flashing shamrock necklace, and green pigtail headband helped her to have a very successful St. Patrick's Day. She was pretty much the highlight of many peoples' night.

I am totally rocking this St. Patty's day garter when I get married.

The best part of this picture is that it was probably taken around 8:00 pm. We started celebrating early.
.
Lauer Christmas card, 2011.

I hope each and every one of you had a festive St. Patrick's Day. If you feel that it could have been more exciting, celebrate with us next year!




3 comments:

  1. Mom and I just read the blog and we laughed our heads off. Wish we could be back there right now. St Patty's Day 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. best holiday EVER!!! i want to dress up like that every week just for the attention...and squirtgunning

    ReplyDelete