Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Final Countdown

In 10 days (give or take a couple, depending on the Nugget's plan).... I will be a first-time Aunt! But what's even more exciting is that my sister will be a Mom. As she was always meant to be. I must give her credit for being the calmest, most relaxed pregnant woman in the world. She has only complained about being tired and having swollen ankles, but I had to practically pry it out of her. She has handled her pregnancy with such grace, and I am so proud of her.

We had her baby shower in early August and I believe it will always be one of our family's most memorable days. Dad was there in spirit, of course. Mom had planned out and perfected every little detail for the shower -- cheesy, I know, but it was evident how much love had been poured into this celebration for Nicole and Nugget.

Deirdre and I spent the day before the shower running around DC and taking care of last minute details. Best part of the day, besides spending time with my family, was definitely picking up the cake. I was making my way over from the champagne to the bakery when Deirdre shot me a, "Oh my God, get over here and help me" look. I understood her panicked expression when I made it to the bakery counter. Written on the cake was, "Girl or Boy, Bundell of Joy!" Seriously? Bundell? That's not even an easy error to make. We're not the most assertive girls, but there was no way of getting around this slight confrontation. I spelled "bundle" for the employee.... twice.... and we finally walked away with our neon yellow cake for Nicole and her bundell of joy. And why, why, why did they feel the need to write "BABY" floating in what appears to be a cloud? Couldn't they at least have written "Nugget"?

There's nothing like coming together to celebrate something so exciting... the first grandbaby of the family. We enjoyed a delicious brunch, played a game of "Name That Baby Tune" (thanks to DJ Deirdre), and helped Nicole open up her mountain of thoughtful baby gifts. The sweetest gift of all was a surprise to all of us from my Mom. She had a christening gown made for the baby out of her own wedding dress. They will have the baby's initials monogrammed inside the dress, and the initials of future grandchildren will follow. It was such a meaningful gift and a keepsake that will always remain in the family.

I cannot wait to be home to celebrate and meet my first niece or nephew!

We love you Nicole, and you too Nugget!

2 comments:

  1. I love you guys too!!! That was seriously the best day ever- way better than I could have imagined!! I can't wait till our bundell of joy arrives and gets to meet you all!!! Love you and see you SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so excited to meet Nugget!!! and can't wait to see YOU, Jac!!

    ReplyDelete