Thursday, February 4, 2010

We Met the Statue of Liberty

Kristen and I ventured out in the rain last night for our weekly tradition of Wednesday night trivia at the Ginger Man. I can call it a tradition now that we've been three times, right? We have met some interesting people the last couple times we played, but George from last night takes the cake. I actually left the bar and told Kristen "I have GOT to blog about that guy." That might make me incredibly lame, don't judge. We struggled through the first round of trivia (just warming up, of course) and on Kristen's way back from turning in our sheet, George (stunned by Kristen's beauty) stopped her and asked if we would join him at his side of the bar and he would play on our team. And so we did. We figured hey, we're new in town, another friend would be nice.


We introduced ourselves, shook hands. Normal. When I asked where he liked to hang out, he told me that he's a "free spirit", that he's "like the Statue of Liberty". Not normal. First off, do true free spirits actually label themselves as that? Isn't that something that other people perceive one to be? Secondly, how is one like the Statue of Liberty? I can't imagine the Statue of Liberty in human form playing trivia and drinking beer at a bar in Austin. He went on to say that he believes America has room for EVERYBODY, that we shouldn't turn a single person away because of all the land we have to offer. I asked if he'd ever been to Southern California. More specifically, a high school in Southern California. Don't get me wrong, I believe in all the good that America has to offer and I support helping those that are committed to working hard to make a living for him or herself. But let's be honest, room for EVERYBODY? This was clearly his shtick that he uses on groups of girls to impress them with his kindness and goodwill toward others. Sorry George... we were more into the 80's television category than we were to your noble qualities. When I offered him Kristen's number before leaving the bar (just to be polite), he informed us that he's more connected through the social media world. I'm pretty sure the Statue of Liberty doesn't have facebook. He handed Kristen his card, and we were on our way.


Another eventful night at the Ginger Man... only this particular Wednesday was much more memorable. Thanks, George.

No comments:

Post a Comment