Sunday, June 20, 2010

I'm Feelin' Hot Hot Hot

In celebration of Father's Day, I planned a cook-out for the residents on Friday. Never again. At least until it cools off, which is probably not until November here in Texas. Unless they give me permission to wear shorts and a tank top to work, I don't think I can host another cook-out in 95 degree weather. Especially when the staff is not being very helpful and I'm running back and forth between the grill and the tables where the residents are eating, back to grab a ketchup packet, back to refill a lemonade, back to grab an extra napkin.... holy HEAT. It was crazy. But overall, it was a good time... for the residents at least. I was sweating from 11 am - 6 pm, long after the cook-out was over. I kept asking staff how they got used to this heat and one lady said, "I've lived in Austin for over 20 years, and I'm still not used to it." Thanks for the encouragement. I was glad to have one lady out there who doesn't attend many events as she is focused on therapy and prefers independent activities in her room. Her vision is severely impaired, so when I brought her a plate I took her hand and had her feel everything on the plate so she knew where it was. Right away, she asked for more potato chips. I told her I'd be right back with them, and when I returned she had her eyes closed. I was worried for a second because it was SO hot outside (to me) and I was afraid that the residents might be at risk and I put my hand on her arm and said "Mrs. Billington, here are your potato chips" (HIPAA alert: not her real name), and she didn't open her eyes. I put my hand on her shoulder and said her name a little bit louder... repeated it three more times... and right when I was about to call for help, she opened her eyes and said "Honey, I was just sayin' grace." Embarrassing. I quickly apologized and she said, "I guess it's safe to assume that you don't see much of that around here, huh?" True. Part of me wanted to let her know that God would not have minded if she had taken a short break from her prayer to let me know that she wasn't dying, but I figured I should just give her the potato chips and be on my way.

On another note, I was able to stay cool this weekend while floating the San Marcos River and my parents stayed cool with 3 other couples while rafting the New River in West Virginia! I did that last summer and it was one of the craziest/most exciting things I've ever done. Hopefully I can do it with my parents one of these days! So to my young and adventurous Dad... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! J-E-T-S! JETS JETS JETS! LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Dad enjoyed you calling him young! We're glad we were clueless on how intense rafting on the New River was until we got there....it was an amazing experience!!

    ReplyDelete