Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bi-Polar Weather

Just three days ago I was enjoying a glass of wine outside at Opa, one of my favorite spots in Austin. I was wearing jeans and a short-sleeved shirt while Firas was in shorts and a t-shirt. We were listening to a man singing and playing acoustic guitar to a few of my favorite tunes that I grew up with.... "My Girl", "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You", "Stand By Me", "Bye Bye Love"... it was heavenly. Firas had a little too much fun the night before and told me before we left my apartment that all he was craving was an italian soda. Random, right? What do you know... one of Opa's few beverage options beside their extensive wine selection is italian soda. Crazy. Opa has a lot more going for them than just good wine and live music. They have a porch swing, outdoor ping-pong... and hula hoops. I haven't been brave enough to swing a hula hoop around these hips just yet, but I have a feeling that I will after I frequent the place a few more times. Or have more than just one glass of wine. Our friend Palak joined us towards the end and the three of us crossed the street to Olivia, a restaurant that we've been wanting to try for a few months now but have steered clear because of their steep prices. However, on this perfectly warm Sunday evening, their entire bar menu was 30% off. We sat outside and enjoyed more wine, mussels, frites, pork bbq sliders, and the amazing 70 degree weather. It seemed too good to be true.

And it was.

They expect the temperature to fall well below freezing today with wind chills falling near three degrees. I woke up to no electricity, finding out that the state of Texas is enforcing "rolling blackouts" after there were generation shortages from so many Texans cranking up the heat. This allows them to shut off the power for 30-45 minutes at a time throughout the day. I didn't even know that was legal. This includes traffic lights, and drivers in Texas already scare me. I got ready by candelight this morning, putting my hair back in a wet braid. It all felt so Amish. Until I was almost out the door and the electricity flickered back on. I ran for the bathroom, plugged in the blow-dryer, and got to work. Let's be honest, I wasn't made for wagons, long skirts, and braids.

I can deal with the cold. But it would be much more bearable if we had a little snow to go with it.


The winter storm that swallowed my house in Charlottesville a year ago....

4 comments:

  1. Yes, we'll leave the long-jean-skirt-wearing to Nicole.. HAHA. Can we please go to Opa in March!? Add it to the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha very funny Deirdre... two words: Grover Jacket.

    I can't believe they cut the power to traffic lights too! Oh well, it was worth it to hear about your Amish Experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring the Power Back on, I DEMAND IT!! Nicole I do not want to live like the Amish. I enjoy my modern luxuries such as central heating, wireless internet, microwaves, and incandescent lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grover Jacket LOL!! Do you still have that Dee? Lilly needs a friend.....

    ReplyDelete