Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Beware: Cheesy Birthday Post

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest girls in the world because of my family and friends. Note: I am aware that I should be calling myself a woman now that I am 27... well, I should have been calling myself a woman nine years ago, but I'm just not there yet. It wouldn't have the same ring if I were to say, "I consider myself to be one of the luckiest women in the world." Well, it doesn't sound half bad actually. I'll try it next time. Or as soon as I stop trying to find clothes that fit my body shape and style of fashion in the Juniors department. That's another post for a different day.


I am writing this to share my gratitude for my wonderful family and friends. I was born into the most thoughtful and loving family, and for that, I am thankful. Being far away from home is quite tough on a birthday, but they somehow find a way to make me feel special, even over a thousand miles away. My Mom and Dad surprised me with a HUGE birthday package, including all sorts of gifts... clothing, movies, gift card for more clothing, leopard slippers (so snazzy), beef jerky (they know me well), birthday glasses, and more... all beautifully wrapped, as Mom is quite the professional. It's always obvious how much thought she puts into the gifts she gives.

My sisters surprised me with the sweetest and most thoughtful gift in the WORLD. They had the first year of my blog turned into a book! I didn't even know that was possible. I first thought they had sent me one of my old yearbooks by the shape of the package (which would have been slightly funny), but was in shock when I realized what it actually was. Flipping through it made me laugh and cry, seeing my first year in Austin on the pages of a hardcover book. It's incredible! They told me they had that planned for almost a year, ever since I started the blog. I'm glad that it's something I've kept up with, and the book will always remain a keepsake.


While reading sweet messages and listening to voicemails from friends far away, I was reminded how lucky I really am. I come from a group of girls that make a big deal out of birthdays. While I always brush off my birthday and make comments about how it's really not that big of a deal, I think I've finally realized why I do that. It's because I know my friends will make it into a big deal even when I claim that it's just another day. I've had friends kidnap me at 6 in the morning, drive me all the way to Virginia Beach with a blindfold on, and together we enjoyed a 3-day weekend at the beach in January. They even went through one of those weirdo Haunted Houses with me on the "strip", where you have to wonder what kind of creep is behind those props making strange noises and grabbing at you. I've been blindfolded and taken snow-tubing at Wintergreen on a school night in college. Oh, by the way, we love using the blindfold. Any kind too... bandana, beauty mask, monkey mask, etc... we're not picky. Dana has prepared my Mom's famous meatloaf on a birthday night that I wasn't able to make it home for. We have planned infamous "guido" parties (and this was pre-Jersey Shore) that were really something to write home about. My friends make my birthday worth being excited about. This year, my friend Eliza Joy dedicated a very sweet blog post to me on my birthday (http://myroadtoemmaus.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/happy-birthday-to-my-bestie/) and my friend Dana sent me the sweetest package, complete with the nicest card and a little black dress! Even when miles and miles away, they know how to make me feel loved.

Meanwhile, Firas probably wanted to flee the country as I'm sure I wasn't easy to get along with over my birthday weekend. Because I do have such thoughtful family and friends, it makes me miss them even more on special occasions such as this. But I trust I will find that here in Austin, and looking back on my friends from home, we've been at it for 8-17 years! That's just amazing, and evidence that these things take time. Firas was a trooper though AND he is taking me to New Orleans next weekend for my birthday gift! Woohoo! I love New Orleans, and we have such a good time traveling together. Here's to good music, cajun food, and hurricanes!

A big THANKS to everyone, near and far, for helping me to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Jaclyn aka The Birthday Bear, You have to be a friend to have a friend and that's why you have such good ones! Loved E.J.'s post too!!

    ReplyDelete