Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble

This Thanksgiving will look different than most... this is the second year in a row where I will be spending the holiday without crisp, cold weather, sisters, cousins, road trips, prank calls with "Barbie", Dad's turkey, reminiscent conversations and stories, Mom's stuffing, getting together with friends in Charlottesville the night before Thanksgiving, and the list goes on... but Nicole is in New York with Tony's family, Deirdre and my parents are in Maryland with Will's family, and I am here with all of my residents in Austin, Texas. Only 'til 3:00! And then I will be enjoying the holiday with Firas and his family. It is happening; we are growing up, carrying on old traditions and creating new ones. I have tried my best to recreate my Mom's stuffing and I may even convince Firas to make a prank call with me. I will still find the radio station that plays Christmas songs starting the day after Thanksgiving. And I will always refuse to wake up at 4 am for "Black Friday" shopping. But this year, instead of the classic turkey, we are giving "cajun fried turkey" a shot. No, I am not living in Louisiana and Firas' family is not featured on "Swamp People". It's something that Firas wanted to try, and who am I to kick and scream over wanting the traditional turkey dish for Thanksgiving? Okay, I did. But then I quickly realized that I couldn't recreate everything about my family's Thanksgiving holiday. I was never a fan of cranberry sauce, anyways. I feel thankful to have such wonderful memories of holidays with my family, and I am thankful for the opportunity to create new ones.

But let's get to what I'm missing MOST this Thanksgiving....



Although I wish I could be there to celebrate this little turkey's first Thanksgiving, I feel fortunate that I will be home for his first Christmas.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


"Forever on Thanksgiving day, the heart will find the pathway home."

~Wilbur D. Nesbit

2 comments:

  1. As you now have a friend living in Louisiana, you cannot make fun of our need to make everything here Cajun.

    Just kidding, it's weird and I will always be a Virginian at heart.

    See you sooooon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you and Firas!!

    ReplyDelete