Saturday, November 12, 2011

When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie

In my opinion, an afternoon that includes pizza, eating outside, and Frank Sinatra is almost perfect. Firas, Susan (Firas's Mom), and I enjoyed one of these perfect afternoons at Coal Vines, a new pizza and wine bar, just a few weeks ago. The weather was ideal for a Sunday afternoon - jeans and a t-shirt kind of day. I knew that I loved it from the moment we walked in, as Frank Sinatra crooned "Fly Me to the Moon" throughout the restaurant and patio. I was also a fan of their decor.... red and black furniture, exposed brick, and countless bottles of wine lining their walls. And of course, their huge coal oven where they fired our delicious pizza. We opted to sit outside on the patio and for our pizza we chose the "White Special" - mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, sliced tomatoes, fresh garlic. Yum! A quick glance at our leftovers...

The pizza was thin, crust was perfect, and my favorite part.... how thin the tomatoes were sliced! Nothing more awkward than taking a bite out of pizza and not being able to bite through the freaking tomato, causing you to pull off the entire layer of cheese and toppings with just one bite. Am I the only one that this happens to? On top of the thin tomatoes, the prices were totally reasonable and it is a prime location for people-watching in downtown Austin.

I am aware that I look like an apprehensive, blue version of "Where's Waldo?" in this picture, but there was only one other taken... and it's even worse.

If you live in Austin (I also think they have restaurants in Dallas and Houston), I strongly suggest you check out Coal Vines. How can you go wrong with a slice (or two or three) of pizza and a glass (or two) of wine?

Yes, Dean Martin....that's Amore!

2 comments:

  1. I want to go here and ditto on the thin tomatoes.
    P.S. You're much cuter than Waldo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - sounds like a good place for our January visit!!!

    ReplyDelete