Sunday, December 11, 2011

'Tis The Season

I fully intended to write a blog post or two in the spirit of Thanksgiving to share all that I'm thankful for, especially this year with my new and wonderful nephew. But blogger's block got the best of me, and I just didn't have the motivation to sit down and write. But here I am, back in action... for a little while, at least. And since I missed out on the opportunity to publicly share thanks in November, I am aware that there's never a time gratitude is not well received. So in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas, I will be sharing a few of the things that I am thankful for and have made my heart glad this season.

This particular view of downtown Austin ~ I will always remember turning off of Oltorf onto South Congress for the very first time with my two sisters, bringing our two-day road trip from Virginia to a close. As we turned onto South Congress, this skyline was directly in front of us, and I remember letting out a gasp. Or maybe Nicole did. Needless to say, it was an exciting moment. I was beginning a new chapter in my life. And as hard as it is to be far away from home, family and friends, this view from South Congress brings me back to my initial adventure. To the craziest risk I've ever taken. And for that, I am thankful.


The relationships I have with my elderly residents ~ It amazes me how I am somehow able to communicate with a resident who speaks only Spanish through body language, laughter, charades, hugs, and very little knowledge of basic phrases. I found this note on my desk one morning from this particular resident, and I could not stop smiling. And not just because she spelled my name "Jackley", but because our language barrier ain't got nothin' on us. Except for when I'm trying to explain to her that it's not appropriate to sell bingo prizes she's won, winter coats, purses, bracelets she's made in arts and crafts, and personal items at our Arts and Crafts Bazaar.

Lessons from the wise ~ I often take for granted that I have the opportunity to learn so much about life, love, history, faith, and whatever else there is to learn, in my daily interactions with the residents. Their backgrounds are each unique, yet they have wound up in the very same place, but most likely under very different circumstances. Some are cognitively impaired but still able to walk, while others have lost mobility but still have complete control of their minds. No matter what their condition, each resident has a story. And if I were smart, I would take the time to listen to each one. I spent an hour or so on Thanksgiving day working on this "Bouquet of Thanks" with the residents who didn't go home with family, and in that one hour, I remembered how many simple things in life there are to be thankful for. Residents scribbled on their fall-colored leaves, "A safe place to live", "My sister", "Good food", "Laughter", "God", and so on.... my favorite was the resident's leaf below, which reads, "I am thankful for all.... people that love me. I love all people." And she really does.


This little guy ~ I never imagined how strong I could feel about a 7 lb baby, but seeing Nicole carry him for nine months, then bring him into the world with such grace, and lastly give me the opportunity to love him and support their family has been the greatest privilege. I cannot wait to hold the little bug at Christmas and I am already counting down the days!

And yes, I love him enough to post a picture of myself with three chins.

3 comments:

  1. I was tearing up as I read your blog but the last sentence made me LOL!!
    Love you and can't wait to see you and Firas in 12 more days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Now only 11 more days!!! I seriously CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am up reading your blog at 4 am but it provided some serious comfort. I love and miss you. I love your Thanks Edition each year.

    ReplyDelete