Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tara and Jaclyn's Austin Adventure: Day 2

Day 2 was by far my favorite day with Tara. It was the perfect mix of eating, drinking, and just sitting together. It started off with a delicious mexican breakfast at Juan in a Million. A friend had sent me a message about an episode of Man vs. Food where he visits Juan in a Million for it's well known "Don Juan" breakfast plate, and since moving here I've only heard incredible things about it. I figured it was the perfect spot to try with Tara since we both love mexican food and together we suffered through four years of eating at La Parota, Farmville's only mexican restaurant... we deserve the good stuff. And let me tell you, the Don Juan burrito is all that it's cracked up to be. And what made it taste even better is that it only cost four bucks. I'm all for a plate of eggs, potatoes, bacon, cheese, and tortilla for less than five dollars. And yes, I felt like a complete dork taking yet another picture of my food, but I did it for all of you. Or at least for Mom, who I know reads this thing. The guy on Man vs. Food was trying to beat the record of eating FOURTEEN Don Juan burritos... the three of us could barely finish one! Food wins again. So I tip my sombrero to Juan in a Million for an incredible breakfast and for coming up with such a clever name for a restaurant.

Following breakfast, we made our way to Mandola winery which is right outside of Austin. It was our plan to head to Driftwood winery but after I got us a bit lost (okay, very lost), we came across Mandola first and decided to do both! Mandola was beautiful and the wine was so, so, so good. Even the rose wine, which Tara and I are both typically not fans of. The people helping us were so friendly and we were both very impressed. I'm looking forward to going back! We headed to Driftwood next... not as impressed with the wine or the service, but the view was amazing! We lucked out with the weather too... it had been drizzling in the morning, but it cleared up and we were able to sit outside with a glass of wine for a couple hours. We even got a little sun on our faces! This was probably my favorite part of the day... just relaxing and catching up.
=
After sampling a lot of wine at the two wineries, we were ready for another incredible meal... this time at Salt Lick BBQ! I feel like this is a place that I have to take everyone who visits me to. It's the meal that you write home about. It was probably a bit much combined with the Don Juan and the wine, but it was just as good as the first time. I felt that I could now check three of the necessary things for Tara to experience off the list: sixth street, mexican food, and real barbecue.

It was a full day, and we were exhausted. There had been talk about going out that night, but both of us were very content just curling up on the couch and watching TV. We had a big day ahead of us... in ole' San Antone! More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment