Monday, August 30, 2010

Water Parks Are Not My Friend

Go ahead, call me un-American for not liking water parks. I like water rides, I despise water parks. I feel somewhat guilty admitting that, but it's true. I'm 26 years old and I find it hard to believe that my aversion to water parks is going to change at this point in my life. It's time that I come clean. But as you all know, my sister Deirdre and her boyfriend Will were in town a couple weeks ago and Schlitterbahn was at the top of their list. They were coming all the way from Washington D.C. to visit me and I knew that I needed to put my strong feelings of disgust aside and plan a trip to the water park. Schlitterbahn has been voted the "World's Best Water Park" ten years in a row. Out of all (four) of the water parks I have visited, I would have to agree with this. However, there were a few things that helped to sustain my severe dislike for all things water park. First off, the long lines. I'm not talking 30 minutes... we're talking hours. We waited in line for about 35 minutes for the most talked about ride in the park, only to find out that we had 2 1/2 more hours to go. That should be a crime. I would rather sit in a baby pool filled with toddlers in dirty diapers than wait three hours for a 30-second water ride. That's a strong statement, but I'm not backing down. Secondly, you are wearing only your bathing suit and sandals while in line and walking around the park. Hello, chafing of the inner thighs. And lastly, it is easily 100 degrees on a typical summer day in Texas. It is so hot here that I'm almost positive my contact nearly melted on my eye last week. Unless transportation around the park is by a lazy river or helicopter, I'm not up for it. I will say that Schlitterbahn did a very good job of keeping you in the shade while waiting in line, but they should really consider pairing you up with a personal assistant who will mist you or provide you with a bottled water whenever thirsty. And I will also give Schlitterbahn props for the fun factor and length of their rides. We waited in line for a good hour and a half for a ride that almost made the wait worth it. It lasted for about 40 minutes, and had periods where we slowly cruised down the lazy river as well as fun slides, dips, and chutes. As far as water parks go, this wasn't the worst experience I've ever had. Luckily, I was with good company and that makes all the difference. And the best part of my day was getting to yell "SCISSORRRRR" in the wave pool with Deirdre. It's been a long time since we've gotten to scissor. The day might have been better if we hadn't been accompanied by someone who appeared to be on speed. I'm not certain that he actually was, I just think he had the energy of a six-year old on a Fun-Dip sugar high combined with a huge ego and love for his own voice. No, I'm not talking about Deirdre's boyfriend. We went along with another group for a friend's birthday, and the energizer bunny somehow made the cut. Needless to say, I was ready to go by the end of the day. Although the day included great people-watching, good times with Deirdre, Will, and Firas, many laughs and rolled eyes in the direction of E-Bunny, and a few enjoyable rides... once again, the water park had gotten the best of me.

1 comment: