Thursday, August 19, 2010

When I say "Taco", You say "Deli"

It's official, folks: I have found my favorite place to eat in Austin. Well, let's be honest... I have probably been to only 3% of the noteworthy restaurants in this city, but for now, Taco Deli is my favorite. There are so many taco joints in Austin, I don't know what to do with myself. One thing I'm certain of is that I will have trouble eating Mexican food on the east coast whenever I return. I have been exposed to the most authentic Mexican dishes through both restaurants and co-workers at my building who often prepare a meal for staff and are kind enough to share with this all-American girl. Talk about the good stuff. However, Taco Deli's creative twists on their tacos and their whole wheat tortilla option helped to win me over. And I believe it won Deirdre and Will over too, considering Will asked if we could come back to Taco Deli for every meal the rest of their trip. Firas first brought me here on a Saturday afternoon, and the place was slammed. It is definitely an Austin gem. Here are a few examples of their famous taco fare...

Frontera Fundido Chicken - Grilled chicken with sauteed poblano pepper and onion strips glazed with melted monterey jack cheese.

Cowboy Taco - Cowboy-rubbed beef tenderloin with grilled corn, carmelized onions and roasted peppers, topped with guacamole and queso fresco.

Puerco Barracho - Slow-roasted, succulent pork braised in tequila and sherry and seasoned with fresh basil and pasilla peppers.
Scallops Tacos - Grilled scallops toasted with roasted red and poblano pepper, grilled corn, and a garlic lime mojo sauce.

Plus, they have white cheese queso - yum. Double plus, they didn't judge us as we dragged our dehydrated selves into the deli after our 6 six-mile hike and pounded about eight tall glasses of ice water before our tacos were even served.

So now there is an extra perk if you come visit me in Austin... in addition to being mentioned on the blog, you will eat the most delicious tacos in the entire world. Have you booked your plane ticket yet?




2 comments:

  1. You had me at cowboy-rubbed beef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beginning to sound like 15 lbs I'll need to lose before I visit - just to break even on the return trip......

    ReplyDelete