Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Good Friends in the Fan

It was good to be home. With the exception of my adventures in the ghetto-not-so-fabulous Honda (see previous post), the trip home was pretty smooth. I am still not very fond of airports, but I'm sure that's the general concensus of most travelers. I have found it beneficial to look for anything and everything that will keep my mind occupied while in the airport or on the plane. These activities might include crossword puzzles, reading, listening to music, or best of all, people-watching. The most amusing observation I made on this trip occured two minutes before our plane was scheduled to take off from Houston to Baltimore. A boy who was about my age came charging onto the plane and down the aisle, red-faced and out of breath. He threw his bag into the overhead compartment, while making comments under his breath such as, "Whewww", "Oh man", and "Wow". I wondered to myself what this kid's story was.... a delayed flight, a run-in with the airport security, a dispute with his girlfriend while she was dropping him off.... and so on. The girl in front of me was obviously wondering the same thing and asked, "Where did you run from?" The suspension is building. He responds, "The bathroom." I wasn't eavesdropping at this point. He was loud - there was no shame in his game. She gave him a quizzical look and he went on to say, "Well, the bar... and then the bathroom. I just lost track of time." A-ha. Not so exciting, but still amusing. He eventually calmed down and his breathing returned to normal when the flight attendance served him a gin and tonic.

My sisters were so sweet to pick me up in Baltimore at 11:00 on Tuesday night, and I couldn't have been more excited to see them. I got to spend the night at Deirdre's new (and ginormous!) apartment and spend the day with Nana on Wednesday before my lovely road trip to Richmond. It was so good to be back in the Fan. I have missed Richmond and how well I know the city. Never thought I'd say that after I continued to get lost the first three years I lived there. It was good to be with close friends at the bars I know best. Thanks to everyone who came out on such short notice -- Meredith, Brad, Allison, Courtney, Travis, Davis, Joe, Rommi, Elliot, Elizabeth, Katie -- it really was great to be with you guys. And to Meredith, for being such an outstanding host... I love that you love Richmond. And thanks for not being embarassed when I accidentally dressed like a jockey, talked way too loudly, and asked you to keep an eye on the ripples. Glad you're in the family.

After a few drinks at Curbside, I made my way over to Balliceaux with Allison and Brad for Dana's surprise birthday dinner! I was so, so thankful that Dana's boyfriend Nick planned the dinner on a night that I could be there. It's hard knowing that I'm missing out on special events like this while in Texas, so it was nice to be able to make this one. It was a beautifully planned dinner and best of all was the company. It was so nice to be with Dana, Vail, Brad, Allison and friends and to celebrate Dana's birthday all together.

Following a sleepover at Meredith's apartment (safely secured by Papa Johnson), I was on my way home where Mom was waiting to welcome me back to the land of Bodos, Thomas Jefferson, Arches, and wine....

1 comment:

  1. Still waiting for the follow-up! I take those "..."'s at the end to heart.

    ReplyDelete