Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sing, Sing, Sing


I've blogged about the innocence of the sing-alongs that I currently do with my elderpals and how I've often wondered what my generation's sing-alongs will look like, or sound like rather, when I get to be their age. Of course I don't picture myself as a resident attending the sing-along, but as the volunteer who is 85 years old and still singing at the top of her lungs, twirling men around in their wheelchairs, and giving the other ladies high-fives when I do. I like to set my hopes high. But in all seriousness, it has always amazed me how a resident with dementia may not know the ages of their children or where their room is, yet they they can recite every single word to the song, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart". It got me thinking about the songs from our generation that will remain engraved in our memory....

I play a game with my elderpals called "Finish The Lyric" where I give them the first few words of a line from a well-known song and they complete it. For example...

Don't sit under the apple tree..... with anyone else but me.

I'm gonna sit right down.... and write myself a letter.

Casey did waltz.... with a strawberry blonde.

When I grow too old.... to dream.

Those are a few of their classics. Their songs were so simple, so sweet.

Now let's play "Finish The Lyric" for our generation....

I saw the sign.... and it opened up my eyes.

Don't go chasing.... waterfalls.

I hope you had the.... time of your life.

I've got friends.... in low places.

Billy Jean is..... not my lover.

I get knocked down.... but I get up again.

It's just another.... Manic Monday.

Total eclipse.... of the heart.

Ooh Aah.... just a little bit.

Semi-charmed kind.... of life.

Jump around, jump around.... jump up, jump up, and get down.

Baby got... back.

We are living in a material world.... and I am a material girl.

100 percent.... pure love.

If wishes were trees... then trees would be falling.

Straight up now tell me... is it gonna be you and me together (oh, oh, oh).

All that she wants... is another baby.

So many songs, so little time. Now I want you all to leave a comment and share a few lyrics that you know you'll never forget! I look forward to singing Ace of Base with some of you when we're in our eighties.

6 comments:

  1. you are... my fire.

    if i had a... million dollaaarsss.

    in your head, in your heeadd... ZOMBIEEE, ZOMBIEEE.

    kris kross will make ya.. jump jump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who let the....dogs out?

    It was a crazy game...of poker

    I don't want...no scrubs

    Hey Soul...Sister

    If I could walk...A thousand miles

    She said, "Hello, hey Joe...you wanna give it a go?"

    I ain't no....Hollaback girl

    I can't guarantee we will know all the songs because our generation is so divided into genres...but I can guarantee we will all be able to spell...


    G.L.A.M......O.R.O.U.S

    B.A.N.A.....N.A.S

    They call me...U.S.H.E.R...R.A.Y.M.O.N.D

    S.A.F.E.T.Y.....D.A.N.C.E

    D to E. to the L.I.C.I.O.U.S

    W.O....M.A.N

    R.E.S......P.E.C.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. The early years:
    These are a few of my........favorite things
    Just a spoonful of...........sugar
    And then:
    Hot fun..................in the summertime
    She's a brick...................s$#*house
    Rock the boat.............don't tip the boat over
    I shot........................the Sheriff
    Midnight at..................the oasis

    Can't wait to do my rap edition......

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the sweetest winds....they blow across the south.

    If dreams are like movies then memories are....films about ghosts.

    Don't look back in anger....I heard you say.

    And we'll all....float on, okay.

    I ain't a playa....I just crush a lot.

    The less we say about it the better....Make it up as we go along. (Dedicated to your father)

    Tomorrow we can drive around this town....and let the cops chase us around.

    Maybe all I need....is a shot in the arm.

    A tired song keeps playing on....a tired radio.

    Sugar high....gotta have it, really need it to get by.
    (Probably my favorite)

    I don't wanna wait....for our lives to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll test you, Jaclyn, on songs from many car rides. Imagine your mom and I doing our harmonizing thing.

    The littlest worm..... i ever saw (too easy)
    Let me tell you a story.....about a man named Jed
    There's Uncle Joe... he's amovin' kind of slow
    I Should have known.....you'd bid me farewell
    and finally,
    Underwear, Underwear......how i itch in my wooly
    underwear

    The sad thing is by the time I'm living it up in assisted living these are probably the only lyrics I will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch out...you might get what you're after

    And you...shook me all night long

    She grew up...in an Indiana town

    Look at the stars...look how they shine for you

    Show me some of that spanish dancin'...and pass me a bottle Mr. Jones

    You can run you and hide...but you can't escape my love

    holy best game ever!!!! i think i could literally go on for days, just this is book material!

    ReplyDelete