Friday, October 1, 2010

A Time to Laugh, A Time to Cry

My Mom really wants me to write a book one day. I hope I actually do it. I don't have the writing skills to write, publish, and make money off a book... but I sure as heck have the material for one. I owe that to my elderpals. Like that? I was g-chatting with my friend Mike last week and this new term of endearment just flowed straight from my fingertips to the keyboard. Sure beats old folks or elderly residents. Bo-ring. Anyways, my elderpals have kept me on my toes this week... enjoy.

(During a trivia group)

Jaclyn: Who was famous for saying, "Give me liberty or give me death!"
Jimmy: My first wife.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy: I've got one for ya. It's not one that would be appropriate for church.
Jaclyn: I'm scared.
Jimmy: What's the difference between mashed potatoes and pea soup?
Jaclyn: I don't know... what?
Jimmy: Anyone can mash potatoes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------


(During a word game)

Sally: Another word for donkey...
George: Ass!
Jaclyn: Well, that does work. I will write it up there real small.
(2 minutes later)
Rob: What does that small word say up there?
George: Ass!
Roy: It's true. You never notice the small ones, do you?

(During the same word game)

Jaclyn: Well there's also Esther's Follies... the comedy club downtown.
Rob: Oh yes, that place is SO smokey.
Jaclyn: Oh really? I haven't been there before, thanks for the warning.
Rob: It's not the kind of smoke you're thinking of.
(I'm now picturing smoke as in fog machines...)
Rob: It's WEED!
Jaclyn: Oh.
Rob: I don't know how there's not more cops in there.
Sally: Yeah, and knowing my luck, they'd bust the place the one night I was there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And to end on a sweet one... I was sitting with Eleanor as she was getting ready for brunch, and she was taking her time combing her hair, putting her lipstick on, and making sure she looked presentable. As she glanced at her reflection, I commented on how nice she looked and she replied, "Honey, I sometimes look in the mirror and think, "Oh! Now where did you come from?" We grabbed hands, and she told me that despite her changed reflection, she wouldn't change a thing about the life she has lived.


There are so many negative circumstances associated with the aging process - change of physical condition, altered mental status, loss of family and friends, change of environment, and the list goes on... it can be hard to see all the beauty that comes with old age. In my eyes, the aging process truly is a magnificent thing.

2 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful blog and written from the heart. I don't think the elderpals would want a word changed- you captured it all. Makes me less afraid of losing my "self" as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn you do have the writing skills to write a book and I hope you just jump in and do it! Keep writing and we will keep reading! Love, Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete