Sunday, April 24, 2011

In the Mood for a Melody

I did it. I got back on the bike. And not for just a short ride around the neighborhood.... but for an eight to nine mile adventure around Town Lake. After an exhausting week of work, it was just what the doctor ordered. And one more thing to cross off my bucket list! I can't believe I've been in Austin for over a year and had only stepped foot on the Town Lake trail twice, once to rent a kayak and another time to get to the ACL festival. Shame on me. It was a beautiful ride! The trail was packed with people.... runners, bikers, walkers, dogs, strollers, etc... the most impressive were the ladies running while pushing a stroller. Kudos to you, superwomen. I will be proud of myself if I walk around the cul-de-sac with my child three times a week. It was refreshing to see everyone out there being active and engaging in their city. So much more exciting than the gym. It was only slightly frustrating when I had to slam on my brakes or balance myself while going 0.5 MPH if I wasn't able to get around a family of walkers that took up the entire width of the trail. Can't blame a family for wanting to bond. I was surprised they weren't singing Raffi songs. The views of the water and the city skyline were picture perfect... I always feel grateful to live in this city, but I felt particularly lucky on this day. It was hot enough to break a sweat under myattractive helmet that Firas was kind enough to lend me, but there was enough of a breeze to keep me from passing out. As far as my confidence on the bike goes, I have definitely made progress. As I was riding, I was thinking about how my parents used to say, "It's not you that we don't trust. It's the other drivers on the road." That's how I feel on my bike. I trust myself. I don't trust my bike. Or the loose gravel. Or the pedestrians that don't seem to notice anyone else on the trail. Or the curbs that Firas sometimes jumps, forgetting that he has a mountain bike whereas I have a road bike. Give me time. I actually think it would benefit me to have my first big spill sooner rather than later. Just get it over with already. Watch me fall off my bike into the river the next time I go for a ride. The next picture you'll see of me will be in a hospital gown. Fingers crossed that's not the case.




We had seen a segment on the news featuring a story about 16 donated pianos that the Austin Art Alliance have placed around Austin, but I had yet to see one until our bike ride. We saw two actually! Though I have absolutely no skills on the piano, the worn in bench was calling my name. I played "Heart and Soul" and the first verse of "My Heart Will Go On", taught to me by my dear friend Katie Burns. I'm almost certain that people were to itching to hear the theme song to Titanic, one of the most heart-wrenching movies, while soaking up the sunshine and exploring the trails of Town Lake. Who wouldn't? I let Firas have a go and he wowed the crowd (and by crowd, I mean me) with a couple notes from the Beverly Hills Cop theme song. We should clearly start a club... for people who know how to play the most worthless piano music. The best part is that all 16 of the pianos have the same invitation written across their front... "Play Me, I'm Yours." I never thought I'd be given the chance to play the piano on a bridge that overlooks a city skyline. Their goal is to bring art to the streets, encourage people to engage in conversation, and to lift the atmosphere. Austin is simply amazing.

"The piano sounds like a carnival, and the microphone smells like a beer

And they sit at the bar, and put bread in my jar

And say "Man, what are you doing here?"


Sing us a song, you're the Piano Man

Sing us a song tonight

Well, we're all in the mood for a melody

And you've got us feeling alright..."

5 comments:

  1. Austin, Austin, Austin......

    You Texans are always bragging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool!!!! Great job on the bike ride too! I'm guessing Anonymous wants you to move back to VA?? LOL.

    P.S. It was not me this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea with the pianos! Can't wait to get my chance to wow the world with 'Angels We Have Heard on High' (this one's for you, Nanny!)

    Speaking of surviving bike adventures... last week the chain on my beach cruiser (that I ride all over DC) completely popped off, disabling my brakes (the kind you just push back on to stop).... while I was going downhill on Pennsylvania Ave. I'm sure everyone in the White House was wondering who was screaming HELP ME!!!!! for 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, they hear that every day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. umm, firas' serious piano playing look is AWESOME. and fear of falling/getting hit by a car are definitely reasons why i don't rely on a bike to get around ol' b'more...although a guy did tell me today i should try skateboarding when i need to go somewhere...i don't think i'll be taking that up anytime soon. so impressed by your adventurousness!!!

    ReplyDelete