Friday, April 22, 2011

Set Fire to the Rain

I just found a small journal that I kept while doing a senior internship in a dementia unit and during my first year working as a Recreation Therapist in a nursing home. I cannot wait to share some of those entries with you. Just last night, I was racking my brain as to why I am in this field. I am exhausted. My frustrations have been outweighing my fulfillment, and that has been discouraging. But it's not the residents that get me down, it is all the other crud that comes with almost every job. As I flipped through this journal, I was reminded of how easily moved I was just a beginner in this field. I had a fresh outlook and a positive attitude. My focus was on knowing the residents and providing them with quality of life, dignity, and a sense of community. I believe that is still my focus, but the lens often becomes blurry when I let the negative stuff get a hold of me. I am going to make a conscious effort to regain the mindset of a young and inspired 22-year old girl. Life would be so much more fun.

An entry from 2007, from a conversation with a resident that had a huge impact on me and the way I care about people:

"I really believe you've chosen the right field... you are perfect for this, sugar." -Emma H.

And on another positive note, I am about to pick up one of my very best friends from the airport. Eliza Joy, also known as EJ or Squirt, is coming to visit me for the weekend! I told Firas last night that it couldn't be better timing... there are times when you just need to be with someone who has known you forever, and this is one of those times. Hope she brought the monkey mask! Or Mom's pogo-stick that she's been asking about for eight years now....

This was the weekend of Vail's wedding (July 2009) and was the LAST time Eej and I saw each other... ah, this will be a sweet reunion. Minus me jumping on her because she's pregnant with her second little bean!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Little Emma H is right.. no one (seriously, no one) could do what you do, Jac!! So happy that EJ is there for the weekend. Have a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...Mrs. Hamblin!!! Never forget that we're in charge of fun! Have an amazing time with EJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with EJ - you both deserve it!
    Where is that pogo stick??!!!

    ReplyDelete