Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Jailhouse Rock

As Activities Director, I am responsible for delivering the mail to residents and I have always enjoyed this part of my job for several reasons. First off, it reminds me of how sweet it is to receive a handwritten letter and how exciting it is to get "real mail". Ever since I started working in the nursing home and seeing how much they light up over a letter, I've made a promise to myself that I will continue to write letters to people, especially ones in that type of situation. Also, I usually read over half of the mail out loud to residents who have trouble reading and I get to share messages of new babies, long-awaited retirements, progress on their rose gardens, etc.... once in a while I'll have to read a letter written by a Debbie Downer which shares every single detail about every single illness in the family, but for the most part they're letters filled with words of encouragement.

Like I said, I have loved delivering mail to residents... until today.

I had a letter addressed to one of my ladies and written on the envelope in all caps was "PLEASE READ TO MY MOM. SHE HAS TROUBLE SEEING." Okay then. So I make my way to her room and as always, I excitedly say, "You've got MAIL!" I offered to read it to her and she was happy to let me. I opened the letter and it went something like this.....

"Hi Mother, I hope you are doing alright. Well, I'm in jail right now. (Imagine my horror as I read this out loud, scared to look up and see my resident's reaction...) Don't worry, I'm okay. I am going to get a court-appointed lawyer. But I need money. I couldn't remember Chris's address, but I remembered yours :) (Wow, how sweet that you remembered your mother's address at the nursing home so you could write her from JAIL.) So please tell Chris to send me money. I have really bad allergies, but I have a doctor's appointment soon. Hopefully I'm out by then. How is Mike? Tell Chris to tell Mike to cough up some money too :) (Again, is a smiley face appropriate anywhere in this letter?) Mom, get some good therapy so that you can return home. Keep me in your prayers. Love, Your Daughter"

I have never wished dementia on someone before today. She understood every word of the letter. Surprisingly enough, she didn't seem shocked by the news. I'm guessing this isn't a first... but it was for me.

1 comment: