Wednesday, May 12, 2010

You're the lucky one, so I've been told

A couple months ago, I shared with you all that I was going to learn how to crochet. It was one of the goals I set for myself after reading "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years". I purchased the spool of yarn and a few crocheting needles, but haven't touched them since. Shame on me, I know. But I have a new goal and I'm actually keeping up with it! I am learning sign language. Sounds random, but it's actually something I've always wanted to learn. I never really had reason to, but after we had a husband and wife who have been deaf since they were born become residents at our facility, I decided it was time. This type of language barrier is one I have not faced before. Obviously I work with people who are hard of hearing, but none that have been deaf their entire lives. I also work with those that are non-verbal but they tend to be on the lower-functioning side of the spectrum, but the wife is very alert and wishes to actively participate. After their first week at the facility, I knew that I wanted to be able to converse with them, and not by writing on a dry erase board every time I needed to communicate. To make a long story short, I've grown very close to the lady who we will name"Annie". She has an incredible sense of humor and is so appreciative of being included in the activities offered. I am slowly learning sign language from her. My goal is five words a day. I think I've only got about 14 memorized. It's so hard to form a sentence while signing to her, and she signs so fast that I can't keep up. I have gotten the chance to chat with her daughter a few times and I couldn't help but think how hard of a life she must have had with two deaf parents. They had three children, all without a hearing impairment. I can't imagine being raised by two deaf parents. We had a care plan meeting with her daughter to discuss her parents' progress, care, concerns, etc... and in the care plan, the daughter thanked me for including her Mom in activities and that her Mom always told her I came to get her from her room that day to "play". Love it. I told the daughter that spending time with her Mom was my favorite part of the day and she went on to say, "It's my favorite part of the day too. My parents really are incredible people, and you'll find out that deaf people really do have a culture of their own. I am so lucky." Yes, awkward to cry in a care plan, but no one ever said I wasn't awkward. It just blew me away. I felt sorry for her, and she feels lucky. Talk about gaining perspective. "Annie" told her daughter yesterday that I make her feel like a kid again. I think that's a good thing. Anyways, I know this post is a bit more serious than the rest and I promise to keep these to a minimum, but I just wanted to share. I'm outta here!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful profession it is that chose us! So happy to hear you finding your niche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I've been thinking about it...how did you come up with the name "Annie?"

    ReplyDelete