Sunday, September 26, 2010

Music Speaks

I have found my new favorite band, and I wish I had learned of them sooner! Mumford and Sons is their name. You've heard them on the radio already... at least on the more local/independent radio stations. I first heard them a couple months ago, scribbled down the lyrics, and googled them when I got to work. I obviously didn't have internet on my phone just yet. I found out that it was a band named Mumford and Sons and the song was called "Little Lion Man". I was hooked. I heard their next song that caught my attention on a television episode... it might have been Gossip Girl. The majority of the acting might be terrible, but CW knows how create a soundtrack that's fitting for the show. This song was called "Awake My Soul" and its lyrics are just that... awakening. I'm not trying to sound musically inclined, as I am not whatsoever, but I appreciate when lyrics to a song are meaningful. This doesn't mean that I won't continue to sing Kesha's "Your Love is my Drug" in the shower... it just means that I appreciate good lyrics, and will often try to relate them to my life. Ask any of my best friends. Especially Eliza Joy (EJ) and Tara. Plus, how could you not dig these four blokes from London's "underground folk scene"?

Here are a few lyrics from Mumford and Sons that have made me stop to think...

"How fickle my heart
and how woozy my eyes
I struggle to find
any truth in your lies
And now my heart stumbles
on things I don't know
This weakness I feel
I must finally show"
~Awake My Soul

"Love that will not betray you,
dismay or enslave you,
It will set you free
Be more like the man
you were made to be.
There is a design,
An alignment to cry,
At my heart you see,
The beauty of love
as it was made to be"
~Sigh No More

"It seems that all my bridges have been burned
But you say 'That's exactly how this grace thing works’
It's not the long walk home that will change this heart
But the welcome I receive with every start"
~Roll Away Your Stone

I was semi-curious about the religious background of this band as the lyrics seem to have some spiritual undertones, so once again I returned to my trusty friend Google and found these excerpts from an interview with the band...

"The lyrics for Sigh No More he describes as "a ­deliberately spiritual thing but ­deliberately not a ­religious thing. I think faith is ­something beautiful, and ­something real, and ­something universal, or it can be." He ­gestures around the table at his ­bandmates. "We all have our separate views on religion, but I think faith is something to be celebrated. I have my own personal views, they're still real to me, and I want to write about them.""

"And of course for a group that prides itself on being, first and foremost, a live band, Mumford always has one ear on the performance. "We basically consider the album like an advert for our live gigs. And I find it easier to sing songs over and over if they feel honest, if we feel passionate about them. That's an important thing: we need to be able to feel what we sing every night, and believe it.""

I'm down with that.

1 comment:

  1. They're heading to Austin in November...but the shows sold out. You should work some magic and score tickets. I've been into them for awhile but have yet to see them live.

    ReplyDelete