Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hook 'Em Horns

I have always enjoyed college football, but I've never really had a team. I loved going to UVa games throughout middle and high school, but I was never super excited when they won or greatly disappointed when they lost. It was more of a social experience for me, to sit on "the hill", goof off with friends, and check out cute boys from other schools. Having gone to Longwood, we were not fortunate enough to have a football team and there wasn't much school spirit for our athletic teams. Sorry Lancers, you just weren't much to watch. We occasionally went to Hampden Sydney for games, but again, more of a social scene filled with Lilly dresses, seersucker, and bow-ties. Not so much about the game of football, considering their college was only slightly bigger than my high school.

Times have changed. I am now living in Austin where the city and fans "bleed orange". Football is a HUGE part of this city, and I am loving it! I love seeing everyone sport the longhorn orange around town, especially on game days. I experienced my first UT tailgate a few weeks ago when they played Wyoming, expecting it to be similar to the tailgates I frequented at UVa. Not so much. It was insane - orange EVERYWHERE, thousands of people, a crazy amount of tents, kegs, food (brisket and fajitas... how can you go wrong?), and just a lot of energy buzzing through the city. I first felt like a poser in my longhorn tee but immediately felt like part of the club as an elderly man threw up his "horns" at me as I passed him on the sidewalk. Deirdre, please show Nana what I'm talking about so she doesn't assume it's something inappropriate.


It was a fun day, and glad to be a part of the action.... win or lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment