Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"My heart... it hurts." -Clifford

I am a bad, bad blogger. Shame on me. But to be honest, I don't feel that bad... I was just having the best week ever with my parents in town. And it's taken me a while to get over the reality of them not living here and back to my regular routine here in Austin. Since I have only a few minutes to write, I will share last Friday with you. I spent the night at the Marriott with my parents on Thursday night (nothing beats a pull-out couch... living like a queen) and we all woke up way too early to say goodbye before I left for work and they took off for the airport. It was a hard goodbye. I was very sad on my drive to work. I'm talking hole-in-my-heart sad. Nicole texted me with words of encouragement, as she experienced tough goodbyes while living in California, and her best advice was to keep busy throughout the day to keep my mind preoccupied. I did just that, and lucky for me... it worked. And it was all because of these interactions:

Roy: "I've noticed that in the evening shift, we have a good number of "either-or's" working as aides... is that right?"

Jaclyn: "I'm not sure what you're talking about... what do you mean by "either-or"?"

Roy: "They either want to be a boy or a girl.... they just can't decide."

(Without going into too much detail, his observation is indeed correct.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marge, 84 years old and widowed: "I'm not sure that I can make it to activities today. I'm getting my hair done."

Jaclyn: "Oh, how nice. For a special occasion?"

Marge: "Well, yes. I'm getting married."

(Hold the phone!)

Jaclyn: "You are...?"

Marge: "Yes, will you actually pull my dress out of the closet?"

(Panic ensues. I do not want to be the one to inform her that there is no bridal gown in her closet.)

Jaclyn, while browsing her closet: "I don't see it, Marge. I bet it's at the seamstress."

(I was going to say Dry Cleaners, but I didn't know if those existed in the 40's. Okay, I'm sure they did, but she might have grown up on a farm. Which most likely means that she or her mother was the seamstress. Crap.)

Marge: "Oh, maybe. I need it as soon as possible. We are meeting to get our shots at the courthouse before the ceremony, and he is going to think I didn't show up!"

(Shots? What kind of wedding arrangement is this?! I wasn't ready to find out.)

Jaclyn: "Okay, I'll go check on the dress!"

--Ten Minutes Later--

Jaclyn: "The dress is being worked on!"

Marge: "What dress?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following takes place during an activity with a few Mary-Kay ladies who visited with the residents and pampered them with "Satin Hands" and make-overs:

Roxie: "Jaclyn, you look sexy."

Jaclyn: "Wow, it is weird to hear you say that. But thank you."

Mary Kay Lady (in her head): "Maybe if she knew how to apply make-up or use a blowdryer..."

Ethel: "Jaclyn always looks good."

Roxie: "Yeah, but today she looks sexy!"

Jaclyn, to the Mary Kay Ladies: "This is why I work here."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horace, new resident who looks like a leprechaun: "Sweet angel, can you find me some of that special banana nut creamer for my coffee?"

(It's french vanilla, but I wasn't about to rain on his parade.th

Jaclyn, after checking the kitchen's fridge: "It wasn't in the big kitchen. Let me go check the pantry."

Jaclyn, with "banana nut" creamer in hand: "I found it!"

Horace, arms open wide: "You are the most wonderful thing to ever be born. I love you, I love you, I love you."

Jaclyn: "Wow, doing you a small favor sure pays off."

Horace, chuckling: "Now will you put it back in the big kitchen for me, angel?"

Jaclyn: "I think we'd be better off leaving it in the pantry, because it's easier for you to...."

Horace, cutting me off: "Mama knows best! Mama knows best!"


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And at the end of the day, after I walked my all-American UT football player back to his room, he turned as I headed for the door and said, "Hey, give me a hug."
The hole in my heart didn't close completely, but it did shrink just a little bit.



1 comment: