Tuesday, March 16, 2010

For the Love of the Irish

Tomorrow is my second favorite holiday!!! Next to Cinco de Mayo, obviously. I kid, I kid. Sort of. But seriously, I love St. Patrick's Day! I don't know if it's the enthusiasm of the Irish, the humor of their toasts, the green beer, the hilarity of an Irish sing along.... I love it all. I believe it was the Disney Original Movie, "Luck of the Irish", that really jump-started my appreciation of St. Patrick's Day. It continued to grow when Tara and I visited San Diego for Spring Break and attended the downtown "ShamROCK" festival with Nicole. We wore matching truckers hats, danced like we had never danced before, and approached strangers with our plastic shotglass necklaces letting them know that "another shot would hit the spot" in our best Irish accent. It worked like a charm... once, maybe twice. And this past Thanksgiving, my family (along with Aunt Lori and Uncle Jerry!) ventured to an Irish bar in Old Town Alexandria and had a BLAST. After shooting down my first request of 500 miles (why did I request that again?), he so graciously played "When Irish Eyes are Smiling", another favorite from my elderly sing alongs. To fully understand my level of excitement, see below.

So in honor of this glorious day, a few of my favorite Irish toasts.... no, I don't really want God to turn the ankles of those that don't love me.... all in fun.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you are going,
And the insight to know when you have gone too far.
"

"May those who love us love us.

And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping."

"May the luck of the Irish
Lead to happiest heights
And the highway you travel
Be lined with green lights.
Wherever you go and whatever you do,
May the luck of the Irish be there with you.
"

"My friends are the best friends
Loyal, willing and able.
Now let’s get to drinking!
All glasses off the table!
"

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! CHEERS!!!



1 comment:

  1. hahaha I am SO glad you referenced "Luck of the Irish" because all day yesterday I kept hearing in my head "you're a leprechaun, Kyle!"

    ReplyDelete