Friday, March 26, 2010

I'm a Loner, Dottie... a Rebel.

I didn't have high expectations for the show that Reagan and I attended last night, but all I can say is WOW. Which show, you ask? "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" Quote-Along at the Alamo Drafthouse. I'm not sure if this movie was a staple in your family, but it was definitely a Lauer classic. I read on the drafthouse website about this event a couple weeks ago and thought to myself, "My sisters would kill me if I didn't see this." Luckily, Reagan was as cool of a kid as me, and agreed to re-live her childhood with me and watch one of the best movies of all time on the big screen. It was more than just your average Quote-Along. Upon purchasing your ticket, you were given a supersized red-sequined bow-tie to wear during the show. Hilarious. Prior to the show starting, the host (dressed in a skinny grey suit much like Pee-wee's) called four guys up to the stage for a free tequila shot... but not before they did their best Pee-wee Herman dance moves to the song "Tequila" for a good minute or two. Meredith, you would have KILLED this! I can't wait to bust this move the next time we're out dancing. The host informed us that every time the word "Alamo" was used in the movie, the entire audience had to yell "AAAHHHHHH" in their best Pee-wee voice and then drink. Lucky for us, we were sipping on water last night, or else we wouldn't have been able to drive home. Throughout the quote-along (which thanks to my family, I recognized almost every memorable quote... you'd be surprised what you remember), there were even special effects. As Pee-wee and Mickey the bandit were driving in the middle of the night and Pee-wee drives the car off the road onto the rocks, there was a sonic BOOM in the theater (causing me and Reagan to jump out of our seats) and tons of confetti fell from the ceiling. They also had the fog machine going a few times... I believe somewhere around a scene with Laaaarge Marge. I owe a big thanks to my Dad for seeing the humor in this movie and encouraging our appreciation for it, another big thanks to Reagan for agreeing to go with me, and a big "I MISS YOU" to Nicole and Dee, who would have DIED laughing alongside of me last night.

To my sisters, here are a few lines that might bring you back...

(sitting in the dinosaur watching the sunrise)
Simone: I know you're right Peewee, but...
Peewee: Everyone I know has a big "but". C'mon Simone, let's talk about your big "but"...

Mr. Breakfast: Good morning, Pee-wee!
Pee-wee: Good morning, Mr. Breakfast!
Mr. Breakfast: Can I have some Mr. T cereal?
Pee-Wee: Okay!
Pee-wee (in deep voice): I pity the poor fool who don't eat my cereal!

Pee-wee: I wanna see Francis!
Butler: Francis is busy.
Pee-wee: Busy doing what?
Butler: He's having his bath.
Pee-wee: Oh, really? Where are they hosing him down?

Pee-wee: Come on, Dottie. Let's go.
Dottie: Let's go? Don't you wanna see the rest of the movie?
Pee-wee: I don't have to see it, Dottie. I lived it.

Two thumbs up for the movie, and for the Alamo Drafthouse!

1 comment:

  1. SO sad that I missed this!!!

    "This is one of my favorite parts of the tour. Say hello to our residents, Pedro and his wife Inez. Pedro is working on an "adobe." Can you say that with me?" "A-DOOOBEE."

    ReplyDelete