Saturday, March 13, 2010

Why do we keep going in circles?

Physical activity is addictive in Austin. Yes, I said it. It's impossible to not want to partake in some sort of outdoor activity when the city offers so much of it and there are so many people out there enjoying it. Every time I cross the bridge on South Congress, I see people running, biking, kayaking, canoeing.... you catch my drift. So, on this beautiful Saturday afternoon, I was able to satisfy my craving with a trip to the lake for kayaking!


The last time I was in a kayak was the summer after 8th grade at Camp Cheerio, in North Carolina. I somehow got stuck in the kayaking course, and would manage to hide behind a tree every time they asked us to perform an "eskimo roll". I was not about to flip my kayak over and submerge my head under water for who knows how long. I wouldn't mind trying it now... but not as a nervous 13-year old being looked after by scrawny 16-year old lifeguards. Anyways, my second attempt at kayaking was much more fun. I wouldn't say that Reagan and I mastered the art of kayaking (note the title of this post), but we enjoyed the sun, gave our arms and backs a serious work-out, and I got to spend the day with a new pal. Clearly you were wondering who the other girl in the kayak is. No, I didn't pay someone to go to the lake with me. No, my parents didn't pay either. Ah, I miss that high school joke. The story of meeting Reagan is completely insane... Kristen found this website that we like to call "E-Harmony for Friends", where you can get connected with other people in your city... the group we found is for 20-something girls, almost all new to Austin, looking to meet other girls to hang out with, go out with, etc. Cha-ching. We were a little skeptical at first, but I'm glad we took our chances. Reagan e-mailed me a few days after we joined because she noticed that we both worked in Nursing Homes, she as a Speech Therapist and me as a Recreation therapist, and suggested that we meet up sometime. Kristen and I ended up hanging out with Reagan that weekend and had a blast. Three days later: Laura Young, a good friend from Virginia, asks if she can share my contact information with her friend whose good friend just moved to Austin. She copies me on the e-mail that says something along the lines of, "Lindsay, here is Jaclyn's info... yada yada... has Reagan moved to Austin yet?" My jaw dropped when I saw the name and I knew right away that it had to be the same girl. And it was! So even without "E-Harmony for Friends", we were destined to meet each other. Now I really do sound like an online friendship advertisement. But in all seriousness, I am SO glad we met, and I am going to convince her to put her traveling therapist job on hold until she spends at least a year in Austin!

Check out the view of the downtown skyline from our kayak... so pretty! And next up: Barton Creek Greenbelt for hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment