Friday, December 10, 2010

AFOMFT: Christmas

Being away from home, I have realized how much I value the Christmas traditions and memories I have with my family that are centered around this special season. I love Christmas. I am the kid who believed in Santa Clause until I was 10 years old. I probably would have continued to believe in him until my kids went present-less on Christmas Day because I was expecting Santa to come down through the chimney and make the gifts appear. I'm thankful that my Mom thought I was old enough to know that there was no Santa and made the mistake of saying, "Now that you know it's me and your Dad buying your Christmas gifts, I want your help picking out some clothes..." WHAT!? If Mom and Dad are buying Christmas gifts.... where does that leave Santa?! I'm pretty sure I cried. As a fifth-grader. And it's not like I was completely sheltered growing up... I had friends, cousins, and neighbors telling me that Santa Clause didn't exist. I just didn't believe them. Poor Mom... she thought Dad was going to kill her for taking away the magic of Santa Clause. However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for spilling the beans. Middle school is an awkward phase of life anyways... I can only bet that being a middle schooler who believed in Santa would have been a hundred times worse.

But even without Santa, Christmas is still my favorite time of the year. This will be my first Christmas with just my parents (Nicole will be spending the day with her in-laws in New York and Deirdre will be in Ireland), and I have already talked Nicole into letting me call her at 6:30 am on Christmas morning while I open my stocking. Since we were itty bitty, we have been spending the night in the same room on Christmas Eve and falling asleep to Christmas movies together, anxiously looking forward to one of us waking up at the crack of dawn (if not earlier) and stumbling her way into the hallway, hoping to trip over three stockings left by "Santa". I could continue on about our tradition in how we go about opening up the matching gifts in our stockings, but I feel like I'm sharing secrets of our sisterhood - ha, ha.

A few other Christmas traditions that I can always count on include....

Lilly wearing some sort of ridiculous Christmas gear... and loving it.

Mom and Nicole insisting that we try on ALL of our new clothes and wearing new outfits Christmas Day, the day after, and so on....


Snow on the ground (well, I can't count on a White Christmas... but I can hope for it)



A beautiful Christmas Tree, complete with our favorite ornaments...


Christmas Day Open House at the Johnsons... complete with Lauer grind trains, an amazing buffet of food, pony kegs, Mr. Johnson's famous soup, and lots of laughs...


And so many more... I can't wait to be home!

5 comments:

  1. Great post. Makes me look forward to Lauer Christmas 2011!! I will be anxiously awaiting your 6:30am phone call this Christmas though! :)

    And only 16 days till I see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the heart to tell you there is no “E” at the end of Santa Claus! Ha, ha!!!! I love our Christmas traditions and the fact that each of you girls will carry them through with your loved ones for all time make me feel really, really good in my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Santa Clause is the law the prohibits 6 graders from believing in Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaclyn honey, it was 10th grade..... :)

    Looking forward to seeing all my girls in the Christmas season and am going to make it my mission to find out what exactly goes on when you guys open your stocking gifts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm right there with you...joni and i BOTH cried when i (at the tender age of 7) found out there was no santa...i did everything in the world to preserve it for tyler as long as possible. if i have kids of my own i plan on never telling them the truth.

    ReplyDelete