Friday, January 21, 2011

Fortune Cookie Frights

Most people are excited to open up their fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant. It used to by my favorite part of the meal. With the exception of wonton soup. Not anymore. I am now terrified to read my fortune. And with good reason.

Firas and I tried out a new Vietnamese restaurant while he was on his "Pho" kick. He might still be on it, but I've jumped off the bandwagon. I can only handle so much Vietnamese soup. While on the bandwagon, we ate Pho at this new restaurant and it was decent, but far from the best we've had. Hoping for a good fortune to make up for the less than par meal, I eagerly tore off the wrapper and cracked the cookie to read this:

"Don't forget, you are always on our minds."


I might have screamed right there in the restaurant. I'm sure I laughed.... nervously. And I'm certain that I scoped out the place, checking for any predators who had escaped the fortune cookie factory and were looking to play a sick prank on an innocent American girl. What kind of fortune is that?!
We laughed it off and I posted it to my facebook wall, enjoying the several comments it inspired. Two weeks later, Firas and I visited a different Vietnamese restaurant that we had been to before for another "go at the Pho". Ah, I really am becoming my mother... that's a good thing. Anyways, we enjoyed our Pho much more this time and had a good lunch together away from work. Without hesitation after the waiter brought our check, I grabbed my fortune cookie and excitedly opened it to read what was in store for me. Might I be inheriting a large sum of money? Would I have great success in my career? Perhaps an old friend would come back into my life? But no, none of those things seem to be my fate, according to the fortune cookie writers. Instead, I got this:


"Don't forget, you are always on your minds."


Does anyone else think I have reason to be nervous...? Are they going to write an episode of Law and Order based on my story? My friends at work got me Chinese food today for my birthday, and the fortune cookie sat on my desk for two hours before I had the guts to open it. I finally did and it read, "You will soon be given good advice." I wonder if that good advice will come from one of you responding to this post, telling me to lock myself in my apartment until 2012. Just a thought. May your fortune cookies be less frightening than mine.

2 comments:

  1. No Go for Pho....... just my advice...because Don't forget, you are always on our minds....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super creepy, but I think you should go back to the second place just to see if it happens again!

    ReplyDelete