Monday, January 3, 2011

Ring in the New Year

I've been thinking a lot about New Year's resolutions. Everyone always says you're just setting yourself up to fail by attempting to make resolutions. I've agreed in the past, but now it just sounds completely pathetic. Are we really that convinced that we're destined to not meet any personal goals and to fail miserably at making positive changes in our lives? How lame. I hope I have more faith in myself than that. Maybe it's about setting realistic goals and not ridiculous ones.


Here are a few of mine for 2011...
  • Send more letters to friends and family back home -- send me your address!
  • Buy fresh fruits and vegetables -- even though Steamfresh frozen veggies are just so easy and tempting...
  • Get my tail into shape, which will include:
  • Being more active in Austin -- hiking, exploring by foot, canoeing, tennis, biking, etc.
  • Packing my lunch at least four days a week
  • Expanding my skills in the kitchen and taking the time to prepare home-cooked meals
  • Read for pleasure more often
  • Save money!
  • Travel -- road trips included!
  • Blog at least twice a week, if not more -- Realistic? We shall see...
  • Keep my room clean -- Mom just laughed.
  • And lastly, I want to participate in life -- I read a 300-page book over the the course of two plane rides when I returned to Austin from my trip home called "The Art of Racing in the Rain." It was surprisingly moving, which explains why I couldn't put it down. The narrator is a dog, and it's his perspective on life, humans, relationships, and the story of his connection with the family he lives with. It's definitely worth reading. One of my favorite parts was when the dog (Enzo) commented on how he would live his life as a human (which he is certain he will be in his next life), and he says that he would not merely observe, but that he would always participate. It was so well put. It's easy to sit on the sidelines sometimes, and can be a bit more intimidating to jump in the game. But I want in, just like Enzo.
So here is to a year filled with adventure, family, friends, good health, and great stories!

Happy New Year!
(and thank you for reading my blog)

One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things.
~John Burroughs


4 comments:

  1. 2417 Kenmore Road
    Richmond, VA 23228

    The Art of Racing in the Rain was good...but it got strange...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! Sounds like a great year. I may adopt your resolutions, minus the blog and being more active in Austin. Unless we can squeeze in all those activities in March?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound like good goals. Can't wait until March when we get to taste your new home cooked meals and explore the city some more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather you be a participant and enjoy life than keep your room neat.....some thrive in chaos (Dad) while others (me) need order.

    As for the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" I was thinking I might want to come back as Lilly.....

    ReplyDelete